Friday, January 18, 2013

The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins


     As I rang in the New Year of 2012 I started my yearlong 100 book reading challenge and the first three books of the challenge were The Hunger Games. I thought what better way to kick off my first blog review by giving a review of the first three books in my challenge. Because there are three books in this series and it has been a year since I’ve read them, I’m going to encompass the three in one post.  When my “Too Be Read” list gets a little shorter I’ll do a re-read of the series, not sure when that will happen however.  At that time I might come back and update the review further, but for now, here goes!  (Dusts the cobwebs from her memory and takes a sip of tea.)

      When I read the series the first movie was a few months from being released in theaters.   Being one who likes to read a book before a movie, does not always happen but I like to try, I thought I'd jump on board The Hunger Games train and read the them.  (When mass amounts of books are being sold and people worldwide are talking about things, I’ll check them out.  Ok I’m a pop culture geek!  Leave me alone; well don’t really leave me alone just keep reading my blog please.)  I really did not have a lot of expectations from the “hype.”  So with my mind blank of expectations I dove in. Suzanne Collins definitely has a writing style that reads well from young adults to the oldest book fan, no matter what their reading level is.  The read is smooth, and can be accomplished rather quickly; depending on what other things your life has to distract you with.

      Now when reading the description of the series I will admit that I was a little put off at the idea of a Post North American Revolution. Especially one that has its Government once a year sending 24 young adult’s between the ages 12 to 18 years into a competition.  This is not your average track meet or debate tournament that a normal every day teen has to compete in.  No this is a competition where only one victor comes out of it alive.  Makes you just want to step right up and volunteer, right?  No, you don’t want to volunteer you say? So how does Ms. Collins have her characters chosen for this truly Awesome Game?  (Sorry little snarky there.)  Well she has each of the twelve districts in her post revolution North America perform a “Reaping” before the games are held.   What, might you ask is a “Reaping?” Well, I’m glad you asked.  I will be more than happy to tell you.

      The “Reaping” is the event before the Games that happens in each one of the 12 districts, where one boy and girl between the ages of 12 to 18 are chosen as a “Tribute” for the games. (Runs to sign up anyone she knows between those ages to be a “Tribute.”) Wait!  How does one get entered into the “Reaping?” Well the government controls the populations food supply, and if you and your family want to eat, well your name or that of your children go into a bowl, one for girls and one for boys.  (Being single, I now wonder how I would eat in this series…moving on!)  The more you enter your name, the more food your family gets.  So there really are not fat people in this world, good bye McDonalds! 

      Now if you think I’ve spoiled the series for you so far, I’ve just really scratched the start of book one.  Just an illustration as to why Suzanne Collins writing will have your nose stuck in these three books for hours on end.  As much as I was put off by the idea of the above, like a Rubber Necker at a car crash, I wanted to see what happened.  Even putt off I was drawn in and I had to see what happens to District 12’s first ever volunteer Katniss Everdeen; I knew there was no going back.  Katniss has a strong love and need to protect her family and this projects her as the young, quiet, reluctant revolutionary of the series.  Come on the girl is just trying to survive to get back home to her Mom and Sister, not be the next Rosa Parks!  She is not out to change the world or the system, even if she does not care for how it is run currently.  So as you follow her in her journey you definitely will have characters that you’ll love and those you’ll love to hate! 

   I strongly urge parents with teens to read this series together.  (Ok, recalling my teen days, they might not want to talk to you about it, but they might be reading the series.)  I felt that with the subject matter and emotions that are present in the book, that there are some great talking points that a parent and their child could discuss.  I mean the story is gripping, nail biting, grab a tissue, and even laugh a little, all wrapped up in a three book package! (I personally kept pillows around me when reading because I wanted to throw them accross the room from time to time.  I hated certain characters with a passion…but hate just like love is a strong emotion.)  From the details of the land, characters, and the rules of this society…I’d definitely say that most would enjoy this series, I know I did and plan to read it again someday.  So on a rating scale of 1-5 stars; I gave all three books 4 stars.  I mean the author moved my emotions, created a very detailed world, and characters that are multi-dimensional.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment